Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Beginning Summer Experience

WOW. I think that is the only word that can be used to describe my experience thus far. It has been a crazy first two and half weeks. The first few days in Ann Arbor went by really slowly, mostly because we were all really anxious to get to China but it did help us to bond really well and now we have all become accustom to each other, I think it is fair to say we have become really comfortable with each other. Coming to China I was so worried about the language barrier and the fact that I am a vegetarian and would not be able to eat. The whole being a vegetarian fear in China was basically gone after are first day in China. There are really so many dishes for vegetarians it is some what ridiculous but for the most part it has been really great. The first week we were always together as a group that I really never had to worry about getting around on my own once I spent all that time in a group you start to learn and become more independent.
So far it has been great not having to worry about waking up and getting to the lab because it has pretty much been a vacation up until this point. The only things we have been really doing have been sightseeing and eating a lot of great food. Also, we cannot forget about the language and culture class we have every morning for the first two weeks. They start to feel like somewhat of a hassle to wake up for but they are really helpful. Coming from a background of knowing absolutely no Chinese, not even knowing what Ni Hao meant, I have really learned a few phrases that allow me feel a bit of confidence walking around the city alone.
Today was actually the first day we actually started really getting into the research aspect. I met with my mentor today and learned a lot about the projects that he has in his lab. There are so many projects I am still thinking about which ones I want to do. Well I think that is pretty much it for my first blog I just hope I am able to keep up with it every day or maybe every week.

2 comments:

  1. missing you much. keep posting the pics -- i am actually looking at facebook just so that i can see them. your digs look amazing!

    what are your project options? i want to hear more about the people in china. their take on our new president? life in a communist country (albeit one that is going to kick our ass)? found any great mao shirts yet?

    xoxo, maya

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job on starting your blog....can get a feel of your summer experience. we miss you here in Michigan and are very excited for you getting this great opportunity. looking forward to hearing about your research project. thanks for sharing.
    love,MOM

    ReplyDelete