Monday, June 15, 2009

First Day

Today was my first day researching. As exciting as research can be today was not that exciting. I woke up around 7am just because I was so anxious to get to the lab but I basically spent an hour and a half lounging around my apartment because I didn’t have to be there until 9am. Luckily we have a 10 minute walk from our aparWhen I got there I was told to attend a microscope training class, which I do not believe proved effective because the whole class was in Chinese. It was however, and interesting experience especially the occasional stares I got from other students. Overall though it was an experience so I appreciate it. After that however, my day went by real slow. Before coming into lab my mentor had me read four papers on their current work and what I would be expected to do and know, however when I came into lab there was a whole new stack of papers waiting for me to read. I literally spent the whole day in lab reading papers. I realize that it is important to understand the literature behind the science before you dive right in but it really was a whole day of reading which really tired me out. But it was still a good workday because now I understand my project a lot more and now more about what I will be working with and I got a better feel for the people in the lab and their expectations. I have a feeling that this will definitely be a cool lab to work in; I’m excited!
Anyways the rest of my day went by pretty fast. After coming back to the apartment I rested from a long day of reading endless articles then rode my bike to the grocery store. A few of us were getting bored eating out everyday so we bought a few items to make in our apartments, I mean we do have a sweet kitchen mind as well use it. After that I pretty much chilled and did absolutely nothing for the rest of the night. I could not believe how unbelievably tired I was from reading all day. I am however, looking forward to tomorrow because I know that now that I know a lot more about the lab I will be able to do a lot more and actually start learning more about what I need to be doing. Now it is officially time to sleep, good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment